Silfra: Diving Between Tectonic Plates - Meet on Location
Silfra is a crack in the Earth ripped open by the movement of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates.
The crystal clear glacial water filling the Silfra fissure has been filtered for decades through underground lava rock, providing over 100 meters of underwater visibility. The underwater scenery that you experience in Silfra is found nowhere else on Earth, a true bucket list dive.
The diving tour of Silfra is done in a dry suit, helping you to stay warm and dry inside the suit.
You will explore the four main parts of Silfra, the big crack, Silfra hall, Silfra Cathedral and the Silfra Lagoon. You will be able to touch the 2 continents at one point, don't forget to take a photo!
Silfra is located in Thingvellir National Park which is a Unesco heritage site. The beautiful park is one of the wonders on the famous Golden circle route.
- Guided diving trip
- Hot chocolate and cookies
- All necessary diving equipment
- Silfra entrance fee of 1.500 ISK per person
- Live guide that is a PADI instructor
- Drysuit and warm undersuit
- Heated changing van
What to expect
Upon arrival 15 minutes before the start time, you will check in with the guides at the meeting point at Silfra. Once your group of max 3 divers has been formed, your guide will give you your drysuit, warm undersuit and diving equipment. Your guide will explain how to use this equipment and how to ensure that you will be warm and comfortable during your tour. You can change in our heated Changing Van and the guide will help you with putting all the gear on. We recommend wearing long underwear and thick socks.
Your guide will brief you on Silfra and safety as well as information about Thingvellir national park, the tectonic plates and the continents. The briefing and gearing up takes approx 1 hour.
You will walk 5 minutes to Silfra and start your 30 - 45 minute scuba diving tour of Silfra Hall, Silfra Cathedral, and Silfra Lagoon. Make sure you remember to take a photo of you touching the continents, a bucket list moment.
After the dive in the cold water, we warm you up with hot cocoa and cookies. This is your chance to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour.
• Thingvellir National Park, Thingvellir Iceland
• Thingvellir, Thingvellir, South Region
• Silfra, Thingvellir Iceland
- Not wheelchair accessible
- All participants will need to fill out a medical form before participating in the tour. Please contact local operator in order to request the form via email.
- All participant's height, weight and age information must be provided to local operator to ensure they bring the best fitting drysuit. The tour operator will contact you after booking to ask for this information.
- Participants must be at minimum 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- Dry suits are worn over your own clothing. We recommend wearing long thermal underwear and thick wool socks as a base layer under the dry suit
- Participants must be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent
- Participants must have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives.
- Minimum height is 4ft 11in (150cm). Minimum weight is 100lbs (45kg).
- Maximum height and weight is 6ft7in (200cm) and 264lbs (120kg).
- Participants must be comfortable in water and able to swim, physically fit and healthy
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Please note that that dry suits can sometimes feel quite tight and constricting
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All participants must be able to communicate in English
- Not suitable for pregnant women
- Recommended to bring a change of clothes and warm undergarments
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- IMPORTANT - Participants over 60 years of age must have their doctor sign the approval form in order to participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 3 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Our guide was Briosh and he was great! Very knowledgeable and made us comfortable with all the new gear. The dive was incredible and the photos he took turned out amazing!Our guide was Briosh and he was great! Very knowledgeable and made us comfortable with all the new gear. The dive was incredible and the photos he took turned out amazing!
We had a great dive with Sebastian, the visibility is fantastic, very good service, we will do it again soon. Great job Sebastian.We had a great dive with Sebastian, the visibility is fantastic, very good service, we will do it again soon. Great job Sebastian.
Wilmor was attentive, fun, reassuring, and knowledgeable! We have never been in a dry suit before and it was a bit daunting and restricting, but Wilmor assured us all was well and it was! Perfect!Wilmor was attentive, fun, reassuring, and knowledgeable! We have never been in a dry suit before and it was a bit daunting and restricting, but Wilmor assured us all was well and it was! Perfect!
What an awesome experience! Thanks v much to our wonderful guide Davide and the others who took care of the group, all were first class!What an awesome experience! Thanks v much to our wonderful guide Davide and the others who took care of the group, all were first class!
It was a great and unique experience and our tour guide Briosh was amazing. He was super engaging and friendly and helped make the event its most enjoyable.It was a great and unique experience and our tour guide Briosh was amazing. He was super engaging and friendly and helped make the event its most enjoyable.
Amazing unique experience, I really recommend this experience to anyone visiting Iceland. Our guide Briosh was great fun and very friendly from the beginning.Amazing unique experience, I really recommend this experience to anyone visiting Iceland. Our guide Briosh was great fun and very friendly from the beginning.