1 - 10
Meet your expert guide at the visitor center ticket desk at Zealandia. The tour will begin with an introduction in the exhibition and viewing of a short film on the big screen, which describes the significance of the sanctuary and its groundbreaking conservation work. After the film, venture out into the sanctuary to explore along a variety of tracks and trails. You will be asked to complete a short bio-security bag check, before entering the sanctuary. This is to prevent any predators, such as rats or mice, from entering the sanctuary with you.
On your guided walking tour, your guide will inspire you along the way with stories about the sanctuary and its wildlife, immersing you in the groundbreaking conservation work happening here. Your guide's expert knowledge of the sanctuary will help you make the most out of your experience with New Zealand nature. You will have plenty of opportunities to take photographs of some of the world's rarest creatures and picturesque landscapes.
As the world’s first fully-fenced urban eco-sanctuary with an extraordinary 500 year vision, its mission is to restore a Wellington valley’s ecosystem as closely as possible to its pre-human state. So far, they have successfully reintroduced nearly 20 species of native wildlife back into the area, six of which were previously absent from mainland New Zealand for over a century. The 225 hectare eco-sanctuary is located only ten minutes from the CBD. Discover New Zealand’s unique ecological history and be inspired by the groundbreaking conservation efforts to preserve it.
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• A maximum of 10 persons per booking
• A moderate amount of walking is involved
• Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
• Please inform your guide if you have any medical conditions that you would like them to be aware of, e.g. asthma
• Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately